Seems like everyone that loves lattes has a favorite coffee shop that they like to frequent. Over the many years of our travels, we have stumbled upon many hidden little coffee shop gems. We kept finding ourselves comparing certain factors within each coffee establishment.
We would find ourselves impressed by the amazing texture and taste of their lattes or the comfortable and relaxing seating arrangements that lend themselves to long and creating conversations as we absorb the sounds and aromas that have surrounded us.
Sometimes it would be the delightful selections of locally baked pastries that would launch us to another place in time. A memory of when we would hear the sound from the neighborhood Helms bakery truck as they turned the corner just a few doors down from your front door and the excitement you felt when you busted out your front door to flag them down to stop!
February 23rd, 2019
That is the date my wife and I were sitting in one of our favorite local Laguna Beach, CA coffee shops, The Grove on Forest and had this inspirational blending of the minds to start a blog ranking all the top latte making coffee shops on the planet!
Our Ranking System
- Latte Texture and Taste = Rated between 1.0 to 40.0 (Subject to each person’s tastebuds and likes)
- Pastry Selections and Freshness = Rated between 1.0 to 10.0 (Amount of selections and creative pastries is a plus. If some of the pastries are made fresh daily in-house then that is a giant PLUS!)
- Seating Areas = Rated between 1.0 to 10.0 (Are there plenty of seats? Plenty of room between seats? Arranged for comfort during long conversations?)
- Ambiance = Rated between 1.0 to 10.0 (How do the surroundings make you feel as you’re sipping on your latte? Sights, sounds and smells?)
- Service = Rated between 1.0 to 10.0 (Does the staff seem happy and are they engaging in conversation)
- Location and Parking = Rated between 1.0 to 10.0 (Ease of access and amount of parking spaces nearby. Metered parking is an automatic -.05 points)
- Curb Appeal = Rated between 1.0 to 10.0 (How do you feel as you’re walking up to and going through the front entrance)
Six of the seven categories will be given individual scores on a scale between 1.0 to 10.0 and then totaled to get their final ranking scores.
Latte Texture and Taste receives rating scores between 1.0 to 40.0 because without the great tasting lattes, we wouldn’t even want to return!
A perfect score of 200 would be the maximum a coffee shop could receive based on the combined scores from both our ranking sheets. 80 would be the perfect score for the “Latte Texture and Taste” category (So far we just have one that has achieved that level)
Total ranking scores are then combined between both of our rankings sheets (Click to see an example of our ranking sheets) and then organized on our Top 20 lists from highest to lowest scores
An overall ranking of a top 20 list will be continually updated as new latte and coffee shops hangouts are visited (or revisited)
We will be keeping two separate top 20 lists. One will be ranking specifically in the Latte Texture and Taste category as we have found that sometimes it doesn’t matter where you are if you have a great tasting latte in your hand!